The fundamental character of the School changed
after 1933. The Philanthropin was forcibly turned into a school solely for
Jews. Jewish students could find here a place of refuge and shelter in a
hostile environment. Until the end, until 1942, it tried to continue
instruction even though deportations had begun. The Philanthropin was forced to
close in the summer of 1942 on the orders of the National Socialist regime.
After 138 years, the biggest and oldest school of a Jewish community in Germany
ceased to exist.
[Translation from the German]
Das Philanthropin 1804 – 1942: Die Schule der Israelkitischen Gemeinde in
Frankfurt am Main.